facebook youtube
slide show
Art and culture

Churches
The Church of the Madonna del Perugino
immagine The Church of the Madonna del Perugino
Click here to zoom
In 1658 Francesco Caffarelli from Perugia, known in the village as "the perugino", had the image of Our Lady painted above the door of his home. In the following years the icon became the object of great devotion, so much so that a small wooden edifice was built to protect the painting, and subsequently in 1749 a chapel was built, the precursor to the current church which has been known ever since as “The Church of the Madonna del Perugino”. The walls are adorned with numerous votive offerings donated by the faithful. The Feast of the Madonna del Perugino is celebrated on the second Sunday of September.

 
The Parish Church
immagine The Parish Church
Click here to zoom
In 1740, Francesco Mattei, brother of Girolamo, Duke of Giove, laid the foundation stone for the parish church of St. Maria Assunta, which was only completed 35 years later, in 1775. This became the town’s main church, replacing the one dedicated to St. John the Baptist, the remains of which are to be found in the historic centre. The interior, 35 metres long, is decorated with elegant stuccoes, while on the various chapel walls we can admire interesting paintings of St. John the Baptist, St Carlo Borromeo, the Virgin and Child appearing to St. Anthony of Padua and St. Francis, St. Dominic and the Archangel Michael. In the Apse a semicircular wooden choir has been conserved, above which hangs a painting depicting the Assumption of the Virgin, attributed tio the school of Niccolò di Liberatore, “l’Alunno”, a distinguished Renaissance painter from Foligno.

download
Featured
Dal 01/01 al 31/12
News
2016, July 19
Photogallery
Videogallery
immagine video
play video